[birding] Murrelets

Karl Fairchild dendroicaman at peak.org
Thu Jul 20 16:20:47 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm currently in Frenchglen, but as for murrelets, they are in Benton
County.  I don't think I have them on my county list, but I do know that
they are present in the Corvallis watershed (my folks both did murrelet
surveys there in the past and had plenty of success).  However, the
Watershed is closed to public access--at least mostly.  I believe that Woods
Creek Road may be a good bet, past where it is closed to vehicles.  This
stretch is open to the public as far as I know.  It's a bit of a hike--four
miles end to end, but pretty and does get you into a little old growth.
Also try the end of Woods Creek Road that is accessed from Hwy 20.

Got my lifer Black Rosy-Finches up on Steens Mtn yesterday!

Good Birding,
Karl