[birding] Hesthavn & Finley NWR; field notes coming up

Joel Geier jgeier at attglobal.net
Sat Jul 8 18:15:17 PDT 2006

Hello folks,

This afternoon I stopped by Corvallis Audubon's Hesthavn sanctuary up
Oak Creek to turn some grass I scythed for a mini-prairie restoration
there, and then took a detour past Inavale and Finley NWR on a
roundabout way home.

Hesthavn is a 5+ acre property along Oak Creek Rd. after it turns to
gravel, where Corvallis Audubon has converted an old barn into a nature
education center, and is restoring the property to native habitats. It's
a pretty birdy spot especially if you like House Wrens. The suet feeder
by the barn was very active today with Red-breasted Nuthatch, Steller's
Jays, and two kinds of chickadees in the short time I paid attention.
Black-headed Grosbeaks, Common Yellowthroats, Swainson's Thrush and
American Robin were also around.

Inavale School had a few White-crowned Sparrows acting like they might
be nesting, but otherwise was very quiet. The native plants garden was
going strong with cinquefoil, yarrow, Oregon geranium, showy milkweed,
and broad-leaved lupines still going strong. Too bad there won't be any
kids around to appreciate it next year.

At Finley NWR, a couple of Yellow-headed Blackbird females were still in
the Remediation Wetland along Bruce Rd, and Western Meadowlarks were
still singing on the prairie by the north entrance.

I walked out a bit on the prairie which is looking very nice after last
year's burn. One Savannah Sparrow was sitting up and ticking from a
baldhip rose bush, and a pair of Lazuli Buntings were working the north
edge. There was quite a bit of a bluish Sidalcea (checkermallow sp.)
blooming, not sure if it was meadow checkermallow or one of the more
rare ones. A small Blue (butterfly) floated by, coulda' been a Fender's
just maybe.

Happy summer birding,
Joel

P.S. A reminder to everyone since I know it is easy to forget: The field
notes deadline for the summer issue of the Chat comes up on Monday. This
batch of notes will cover everything back to April 25, when  warblers
were just showing up and it was raining every other day. Hard to think
back to now, I know.  Thanks to those of you you have already sent in
summaries.  Late dates for species that left our area in late April or
May, such as Golden-crowned Sparrows, are especially appreciated.

jgeier at attglobal.net
tel +1 541 745-5821