[birding] Central Benton RR 12/17/06

marciafcutler at comcast.net marciafcutler at comcast.net
Mon Dec 18 18:33:37 PST 2006

Paula Vanderheul and I did the Central Benton County raptor run on Sunday.  Finley NWR was closed between HQ and the east entrance, but otherwise we were able to access most of the route.  Time 5.25 hrs, Miles 69

Red-tailed Hawk - 21
American Kestrel - 23
Northern Harrier - 13 (10 nr. cornfield north of entrance to Finley NWR)
Bald Eagle - 1 adult, 2 subadults
Rough-legged Hawk - 2
White-tailed Kite - 1 (by Woodpecker Loop parking lot)
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Large Buteo/falcon - 1*

This bird was seen south of Refuge Rd. about 1 mile west of 99W.  It was perched in a solitary tree about .2 miles south of the road and in line with the east end of the corn field there.  It seemed uniformly gray-backed with a longish tail, but was too far away to really distinguish features and Paula's attempt to take pictures thru the scope did not elucidate any of the features.

Cheers,

Marcia F. Cutler