[birding] Philomath Ponds, etc

Fontaine, Joe Joe.Fontaine at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 14 16:21:56 PST 2006

Hi All,

I just was out at the Philomath ponds and while I wasn't aware of Doug's sighting, I didn't see any mergansers of any kind while I was there --a few more bufflehead and ring-necked ducks than last week was about the only difference I noted.  Bummer that those things don't stick around longer.

In other news, I saw at least one TREE SWALLOW at McFadden Marsh and a flock of 6 BALD EAGLES enjoying the wind.  Lots and lots of flooded fields but no gulls along 99W or Bellfountain as best I could tell.  Also, 4 COMMON GOLDENEYE have been hanging for the last couple of weeks on the ponds along Bellfountain (west side) about a mile south of the Philomath Sewage ponds.

Cheers,
Joe

Joe Fontaine
104 Nash Hall