[birding] Philomath Red-breasted Mergansers

Robinson, Douglas douglas.robinson at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 14 13:29:01 PST 2006

I saw two female-plumaged Red-breasted Mergansers at the Philomath Sewage Ponds from about 12:40 to 12:48 pm today, 14 December.  The birds arrived on the north pond after I got there. When I arrived, I counted birds at the north pond for about 20 minutes, then walked to the south pond.  I was scanning back across the north pond from the south and saw the mergansers in the middle of the north pond. I do not think I could have missed them earlier.  I watched them for about 8 minutes then walked back to where I had parked. Before leaving the dike, I scanned again for one more look but could not find them. I scanned several times. It is possible that they were diving every time I scanned back across, but I think it is more likely that they left while I was walking back.

Doug

W. Douglas Robinson
Dept. Fisheries and Wildlife
104 Nash Hall