[birding] Coffin Butte Tract, E. E. Wilson Wildlife Area on December 13

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Dec 13 13:12:41 PST 2006

Hi folks,

I went back up Coffin Butte in slightly better weather than Monday's. No
Mountain Quail seen or heard today, but otherwise the bird activity was
improved.

Cheers,
Joel

This report was mailed for Joel Geier by http://birdnotes.net

Date: December 13, 2006
Location: Coffin Butte Tract, E. E. Wilson Wildlife Area, Benton County, Oregon

A quick walk up the butte, with a storm front moving in. Wind seemed to be keeping most brush birds low but I found good activity among the chickadees & associates, on top of the butte.

Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

Red-tailed Hawk                     1
Downy Woodpecker                    1
Northern Flicker                    1
Hutton's Vireo                      1
Western Scrub-Jay                   1
Black-capped Chickadee             20
White-breasted Nuthatch             1
Brown Creeper                       2
Bewick's Wren                       1
Winter Wren                         1
Golden-crowned Kinglet              4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                2
Varied Thrush                       3
Townsend's Warbler                  1
Spotted Towhee                      1
Fox Sparrow                         1
Song Sparrow                        3
Lincoln's Sparrow                   1
House Finch                         2

Total number of species seen: 19

P.S. The website I used to generate this report, www.birdnotes.net, is
free (a Linux-based, all-volunteer project in the spirit of the open-
source software community) and is an easy way to make lists from birding
outings, compared to typing out all the species names by hand. It also
has the advantage that all records go into a database that is easy to
work with, e.g. while doing field notes.