[birding] Finley swallows and grebe

Robinson, Douglas douglas.robinson at oregonstate.edu
Tue Dec 12 16:19:34 PST 2006

Two Tree Swallows flew over McFadden Marsh this afternoon, 12 December.  Very few ducks were present there.

At Cabell, a Clark's Grebe was present.  This is a tough identification in winter, but even from the gazebo viewing platform, the bird appeared very pale. It clearly had a very narrow dark strip on the back of the neck, grayish back with a white patch on the rear flanks, narrow dark crown with white coming all the way to the eye (too distant to see if it came over the eye, but it shouldn't in most winter-plumaged birds), and a yellowish bill.  The bird was pale enough that I scanned across it a couple of times without seeing it until the last second. Typical Western Grebes are much darker and contrasty.

Two Greater White-fronted Geese were in the Bruce Road goose flock, but I could not locate the 7 Snow Geese that have been around the last 10 days.

Doug

W. Douglas Robinson
Dept. Fisheries and Wildlife
104 Nash Hall