[birding] e e wilson

rich armstrong richarmstrong at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 13:14:20 PST 2006

paula, nanette, and i did the entire northeast part of e e wilson this morning. we split up (with walkie talkies) and walked parallel roads to cover 3x as mush area. i figure we were split up for about 2.5 hours and together for 1, so that might be 8.5 hours of coverage. it was very nice day with zero rain, zero wind, and essentially there are birds next to you 100% of the time.
1. no swamp sparrow
2. 1 immature NORTHERN SHRIKE
3. 2 GREAT-HORNED OWLS
4. 2 COOPER'S HAWKS
5. 1 SHARP-SHINNED HAWK
6. 1 SORA (probably same as last time near the handicap blind)
7. about 51 LINCOLN'S SPARROWS (we each counted and added at the end)
8. 8 WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS (we each counted and added at the end)
9. about 15 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS
10. probably 50 PURPLE FINCHES
11. a few LESSER GOLDFINCHES and a few AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES
12. 20+ VARIED THRUSHES
13. 3 GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS
14. many many golden-crowned, fox, song sparrows, bewicks wrens, robins, ruby-crowned kinglets, black-capped chickadees, spotted towhees (easily 100 towhees), yellow-rumped warblers, flickers
15. zero waxwings
16. 1 HERMIT THRUSH
17. 3 DOWNY WOODPECKERS
Rich Armstrong